Article - Education
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Community college” includes Baltimore City Community College.
(3) “Eligible project” means a facility renewal project, including improvements, repairs, and deferred maintenance, that has a total estimated cost of not more than $1,000,000 and has been submitted to the Commission as part of an annual master plan or a 10–year master plan.
(4) “Program” means the Community College Facilities Renewal Grant Program.
(b) (1) There is a Community College Facilities Renewal Grant Program that shall provide State funds to community colleges for improvements, repairs, and deferred maintenance projects in accordance with this section.
(2) The Commission shall administer the Program.
(c) (1) In fiscal year 2019 and in each fiscal year thereafter, the Governor shall annually appropriate in the operating budget of the Commission an amount equal to 5% of the appropriation to the Community College Construction Grant Program in the same fiscal year.
(2) The appropriation required under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be in addition to and may not supplant the amount appropriated to the Community College Construction Grant Program in the State budget.
(d) (1) On or before September 1 of the fiscal year preceding the fiscal year of the grant award, a community college shall provide to the Commission information about the eligible project for which the community college is requesting a grant.
(2) (i) The Commission may make up to eight grants in each fiscal year.
(ii) 1. Subject to subsubparagraph 2 of this subparagraph, a community college may not receive a grant in 2 consecutive fiscal years.
2. If a community college does not request funds in a fiscal year, the community college may not receive a grant until the second following fiscal year.
(iii) 1. Subject to subsubparagraph 2 of this subparagraph, a community college may not receive more than $500,000 in a fiscal year under the Program.
2. If the appropriation provided under subsection (c) of this section is less than $4,000,000 in a fiscal year, the appropriation shall be awarded equally to each community college that is eligible for a grant in that fiscal year.
3. Subject to the limitation established in subsubparagraph 1 of this subparagraph, a community college may receive funding for more than one eligible project in a fiscal year.
(iv) The Commission shall consult with each community college to determine which community colleges will receive a grant for eligible projects under the Program in each fiscal year.
(e) The Commission, in collaboration with the community colleges, shall adopt any regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.