Article - Education
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Data-based areas” means those areas identified by the State Board through the Maryland School Performance Program for which information is to be tracked for each school, each school system, and the State.
(3) “Maryland School Performance Program” means a performance based education accountability program that focuses on accountability through school improvement in the public schools.
(4) “Recipient school” means a public school that receives a recognition award under this section.
(b) It is the intent of this section to reward a school that shows substantial improvement towards meeting standards established by the State Board for the data-based areas of the Maryland School Performance Program.
(c) (1) To the extent that funds are provided in the State budget, the State Superintendent annually shall distribute recognition awards to elementary and middle schools that show substantial improvement towards meeting standards of the Maryland School Performance Program.
(2) The State Board shall establish guidelines for the determination of eligibility for and distribution of awards under paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(d) (1) The school improvement team of a recipient school shall determine how the award shall be used subject to the following conditions:
(i) Recognition funds are in addition to and may not supplant federal, State, and local funds regularly appropriated for use by the school;
(ii) Recognition funds may not be used for staff bonuses or differential pay increases; and
(iii) Recognition funds shall be expended in accordance with policies and procedures of the school system where the recipient school is located.
(2) The principal of a recipient school shall file with the local school superintendent a report indicating the amount of the award and the uses for which it was expended.