Article - Health - General
(a) The Council consists of the following 15 voting members and 6 ex officio members:
(1) One member of the Senate of Maryland, appointed by the President of the Senate, as an ex officio member;
(2) One member of the House of Delegates, appointed by the Speaker of the House, as an ex officio member;
(3) The Secretary of Health, or a designee of the Secretary, as an ex officio member;
(4) The State Superintendent of Schools as an ex officio member;
(5) The Executive Director of the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange as an ex officio member;
(6) The Chairman of the Commission, or a designee of the Chairman, as an ex officio member; and
(7) The following 15 members, appointed by the Governor:
(i) The President of the Maryland Assembly on School–Based Health Care, or a designee of the President;
(ii) Three representatives of school–based health centers, nominated by the Maryland Assembly on School–Based Health Care:
1. From a diverse array of sponsoring organizations; and
2. For at least one of the representatives, from a nursing background;
(iii) One representative of the Public Schools Superintendents Association of Maryland;
(iv) One representative of the Maryland Association of Boards of Education;
(v) One elementary school principal of a school that has a school–based health center;
(vi) One secondary school principal of a school that has a school–based health center;
(vii) One representative of the Maryland Hospital Association;
(viii) One representative of the Maryland Association of County Health Officers;
(ix) One representative of a federally qualified health center, nominated by the Mid–Atlantic Association of Community Health Centers;
(x) One representative of a managed care organization;
(xi) One representative of a commercial health insurance carrier;
(xii) One pediatrician, nominated by the Maryland Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics; and
(xiii) One parent or guardian of a student who utilizes services at a school–based health center.
(b) In making the appointments required under this section, the Governor shall ensure that the Council is representative of:
(1) The geographic regions of the State; and
(2) Minority populations of the State.
(c) (1) The term of a member appointed under subsection (a) of this section is 3 years.
(2) The terms of voting members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Council on October 1, 2015.
(3) At the end of a term, a member shall continue to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member who is appointed after a term has begun shall serve for the rest of the term or until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(d) The Governor shall appoint a successor in the event of a vacancy on the Council.
(e) From among the members of the Council, the voting members of the Council shall elect a chair for a 2–year term.
(f) A member of the Council may not receive compensation but is entitled to reimbursement for expenses under the Standard State Travel Regulations, as provided in the State budget.