Senator Nathaniel J. McFadden
- Baltimore City
- Committee Assignment(s)
- Annapolis Info
422 Miller Senate Office Building
11 Bladen Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Toll-free in MD
- 422 Miller Senate Office Building
- Interim Info
422 Miller Senate Building
11 Bladen Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
- 422 Miller Senate Building
Denotes enacted legislation
- First elected to the Senate in 1994. Member of the Senate since 1995.
- Current Assignments
- 2007- Senate President Pro Tem
- 2011- Executive Nominations Committee
- 2011- Vice Chair, Budget and Tax Committee (Member, 1995-)
- 1995- Pensions Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2003- Capital Budget Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2011- Health and Human Services Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2007- Rules Committee
- 2011- Executive Nominations Committee
- 2003- Legislative Policy Committee
- 2013- Joint Committee on Gaming Oversight
- 2003- Spending Affordability Committee
- 2002- Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics
- 2001- Joint Audit Committee
- 1995- Special Joint Committee on Pensions
- 1995- Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc.
- Past Senate Service
- Senate Special Committee on Ethics Reform, 2012-2014; Standing Committee on Reapportionment and Redistricting, 2011-2012; Chair, Special Joint Committee on Pensions, 2008-2011; Joint Legislative Workgroup to Study State, County, and Municipal Fiscal Relationships, 2009-2010; Chair, Pensions Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee, 2008-2010; Health, Education and Human Resources Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee, 2008-2010; Joint Committee on Children, Youth, and Families, 2003-2010; Chair, Baltimore City Delegation, 1997-2010; Joint Committee on Selection of the State Treasurer, 2007, 2003, 2002; Majority Leader, 2003-2007; Management Subcommittee of the Legislative Policy Committee, 2003-2007; Special Joint Commission on Public Safety and Security in State and Local Correctional Facilities, 2013; Senate Chair, Joint Audit Committee, 2001-2007; Education, Business and Administration Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee, 2000-2007; Vice Chair, Rules Committee, 2003-2006; Special Committee on Substance Abuse, 2001-2006; Joint Committee on the Management of Public Funds, 1995-2006; Joint Subcommittee on Program Open Space and Agricultural Land Preservation, 1995-2006; Joint Committee on the Selection of the State Treasurer, 2002-2003; Joint Committee on Welfare Reform, 1996-2003; Joint Committee on Federal Relations, 1995-2003; Special Commission on Legislative Prayer, 2003; Senate Committee on Redistricting, 2001-2002; Public Safety, Transportation, Economic Development and Natural Resources Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee, 1995-1999; Joint Committee on Transparency and Open Government, 2011-2014.
- Public Service
- Blue Ribbon Commission on Maryland Transportation Funding, 2010-; Chair, Baltimore City Delegation, 1997-2010; Education Committee, Southern Legislative Conference, 2008-; Delegate, Democratic Party National Convention, 2008; Maryland State Drug and Alcohol Abuse Council, 2004-2008; Budgets and Revenue Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2007-; Task Force to Study Raising the Compulsory Public School Attendance Age to 18, 2006-2007; Task Force on Minority Participation in the Environmental Community, 2006-2007; Advisory Committee on the Naming of State Facilities, Roads, and Bridges, 2005-2006; Oversight Committee on Quality of Care in Nursing Homes, 2002-2005; Task Force to Study Public School Facilities, 2002-2004; Workgroup for Reorganization Options (DHMH), Council on Management and Productivity, 2002-2004; Advisory Council on Offender Employment Coordination, 2001-2004; Council on Management and Productivity, 2000-2004; Co-Chair, Study Panel on Funding Needs of Trauma Centers, 2001-2003; Baltimore Region Rail System Plan Advisory Committee, 2001-2002; Second Vice Chair, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc., 2000-2002; State Council on Cancer Control, 2001-; Historically Black Colleges and Universities Committee, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc., 2001-; Task Force on Charitable Giving (Maryland Gives!), 1996-2001; Commission to Coordinate the Study, Commemoration, and Impact of Slavery's History and Legacy in Maryland, 2000-; Task Force to Study the Maryland Enterprise Zone Program, 2000; State Budget Committee, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc., 2000; Chair, Labor Committee, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc., 2000; Juvenile Offender Aftercare Assessment Team, 1999-2000; First Vice Chair, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc., 1998-2000; Maryland Correctional Enterprise Management Council (formerly State Use Industries Management Council), 1999-; Study Panel to Review Economic Development Financing Programs, 1999; Vice Chair, Task Force to End Smoking in Maryland, 1999; Maryland Comprehensive Transit Plan Transit Advisory Panel, 1998-1999; Governor's Task Force on African-American Entrepreneurship in Baltimore City, 1996-1999; Partnership Policy Council on Block Grants, 1998; Privatization Advisory Panel, Mass Transit Administration, 1997-1998; Juvenile Justice Advisory Board, Baltimore City, 1994-; Jail Industries Advisory Board, Baltimore City Jail, 1987-1988; Off-Street Parking Commission, Baltimore City, 1983-1987; City Council, Baltimore City, 2nd District, 1982-1987; Police Community Relations Council, Eastern District, 1982-; Education Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Joseph Fund Board, 1999-2001; Small Business Development Center Network Advisory Board, 1997; Board of Directors, 1 to 1, The Baltimore Mentoring Partnership, 1997; Board of Directors, RAISE, Inc., 1994-1997; Committee of 100 Associated Black Charities, 1994-; Advisory Board, Youth Fair Chance, 1994-; Chair, Urban Services Agency, 1985-1988; Board of Directors, Helping Unite Baltimore (HUB), 1985-1987; Advisory Board, Johns Hopkins Medical Plan, 1985-1987; Advisory Committee, Department of Secondary Education, Morgan State University, 1985-; Board of Overseers, Baltimore Polytechnic High School, 1984-1987; Advisory Committee, National Youth Sports Program, The Johns Hopkins University, 1984-1987; African-American Men's Leadership Group, 1983-1987; Eastside Neighborhood Association, 1983-; Urban League, 1982; Lakewood Chase Improvement Association, 1982-; Board of Directors, East Baltimore Community Corporation, 1971-; Life member, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), 1970-; Baltimore Alumni Chapter, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity; 100 Black Men of Maryland, Inc.; King David Lodge 18; Prince Hall Free Masons; Eastside Democratic Organization.
- First Citizen Award, Maryland Senate , 2009; Certificate of Appreciation, Maryland Municipal League , 2008; Legislator Recognition Award, Maryland Association of Counties , 2002.
- Biographical Information
- Born, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 3, 1946; Baltimore City College, 1964; Morgan State College, B.A., Geography and History Education, 1968, M.S., History and Social Science, 1972, Doctoral Studies, Educational Administration; Teacher, Dunbar High School, 1968-75; Head, Social Sciences Department, Lombard Junior High School, 1975-1982; Principal, Dunbar Adult Evening School, 1979-1982; Coordinator of Community Affairs, Sojourner-Douglass College, 1985-1988; Head, Social Studies Department, Southwestern Senior High School, 1987-1988; Coordinator, Educational Opportunity Program, Lake Clifton/Eastern Senior High School, Baltimore, 1988-1994; Work-Based Learning Manager, Baltimore Academies, Baltimore City Public Schools, 1997-1998; Facilitator, Lake Clifton/Eastern Senior High School, 1998-; Member, Southern Baptist Church; Married, Three Children.
Last Updated: 10/15/2019 3:25 PM