Article - Election Law
(a) (1) This subsection applies only to an absentee ballot that is sent by mail.
(2) An absentee ballot shall be enclosed in specially printed envelopes, the form and content of which shall be prescribed by the State Board.
(3) (i) A local board may use either two envelopes or three envelopes.
(ii) If two envelopes are used, the inner envelope shall be designated the “ballot/return envelope”, and, when issued, it shall fit inside the envelope designated the “outgoing envelope”.
(iii) If three envelopes are used, the innermost envelope shall be designated the “ballot envelope”, which shall fit inside the envelope designated the “return envelope”, both of which, when issued, shall fit inside the envelope designated the “outgoing envelope”.
(iv) The ballot/return envelope described under subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph and the return envelope described under subparagraph (iii) of this paragraph provided to a voter voting by absentee ballot shall include prepaid postage.
(4) (i) An absentee ballot shall be accompanied by instructions for postage of the ballot/return envelope or the return envelope.
(ii) The instructions for postage shall include:
1. a statement that the ballot/return envelope or return envelope includes prepaid postage and may be mailed as is; and
2. directions for how a voter may attach postage for the purpose of reducing the costs of the local board.
(5) When voted and returned to the local board, an absentee ballot shall be enclosed in a ballot envelope or ballot/return envelope, on which has been printed an oath prescribed by the State Board.
(b) The State Board shall reimburse each local board for 50% of the cost of prepaid postage included on ballot/return envelopes or return envelopes provided to a voter voting by absentee ballot under subsection (a)(3)(iv) of this section.
(c) If an absentee ballot is sent by the Internet or facsimile transmission, the local board shall provide the voter with an envelope template, the oath prescribed by the State Board, and instructions for marking and returning the absentee ballot.