Article - State Government
(a) (1) The Comptroller may employ a staff in accordance with the State budget.
(2) The staff shall perform the duties that the Comptroller assigns.
(b) (1) From among the employees on the staff, the Comptroller may designate 1 Chief Deputy Comptroller and 1 or more deputy comptrollers.
(2) While in office, the Chief Deputy Comptroller and each deputy comptroller shall be covered by a surety bond in the form and amount required by law.
(3) A designation as Chief Deputy Comptroller or as deputy comptroller may be terminated:
(i) by the Comptroller for any reason that the Comptroller considers sufficient; or
(ii) if the Comptroller is ill or absent, by the other members of the Board of Public Works for any reason that the members consider sufficient.
(4) A termination of the designation as Chief Deputy Comptroller or as deputy comptroller is not, of itself, a termination of employment.
(c) (1) The Comptroller, in consultation with the Secretary of Budget and Management, may set the pay scale of a position in the Office of the Comptroller that:
(i) is unique to the Office of the Comptroller; and
(ii) requires specific skills or experience to perform the duties of the position.
(2) The Secretary of Budget and Management, in consultation with the Comptroller, shall determine the positions for which the Comptroller may set compensation under paragraph (1) of this subsection.