Article - Transportation
(a) This section does not apply to:
(1) Any transfer of a used vehicle to any licensed dealer or to any foreign dealer;
(2) Any transfer between:
(ii) A parent and child; or
(iii) Co–owners of the vehicle to be transferred when a co–owner’s name is being removed from the title;
(3) Any transfer of a used vehicle that is not to be both titled and registered in this State;
(4) Any transfer of a used vehicle among any agencies of the State;
(5) Any transfer of a used vehicle as described in § 13–503.2 of this article;
(6) Any transfer of a used vehicle into a written inter vivos trust in which the transferor is the primary beneficiary;
(7) Any transfer of a used island vehicle, as defined in § 13–935 of this article, registered, or to be registered, as a Class K (farm area/island) vehicle;
(8) Any transfer of an off–highway recreational vehicle; or
(9) Any transfer of a leased vehicle to the lessee at the end of the lease term.
(b) (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (4) and (5) of this subsection, if any licensed dealer that also is an inspection station transfers any used vehicle, it shall:
(i) Prepare an inspection certificate; or
(ii) Have an inspection certificate prepared by another inspection station.
(2) Except as provided in paragraphs (4) and (5) of this subsection, if any other person transfers a used vehicle, the person shall obtain an inspection certificate from an inspection station.
(3) If a used vehicle is transferred other than by voluntary transfer or is transferred by a political subdivision of the State after that subdivision obtains the vehicle by proceedings pursuant to Title 12 of the Criminal Procedure Article, the transferee shall obtain the inspection certificate from an authorized inspection station.
(4) In the case of a transfer of any used vehicle registered, or to be registered, as a Class E (truck) exceeding three–fourths ton manufacturer’s rated capacity, Class F (tractor), Class G (freight trailer or semitrailer), or Class G (dump service semitrailer) vehicle, the transferor or the transferee of the vehicle may obtain the required inspection certificate.
(5) In the case of a transfer of any used vehicle registered or to be registered, that is sold for dismantling or rebuilding purposes, the transferor or the transferee of the vehicle may obtain the required inspection certificate.