Article - Business Regulation
(a) The Comptroller shall pay from the Special Fund an annual grant of:
(1) $825,000 to the Maryland Agricultural Fair Board to promote State and county agricultural fairs and exhibits;
(2) $100,000 to Prince George’s County to replace money formerly received from the admissions and amusement tax;
(3) $40,000 to the Great Frederick Fair to support exhibition harness racing with money for construction and maintenance of new stalls, track maintenance, and purses;
(4) $50 to the City of Bowie for each day that the training facilities are open at the Bowie Race Course Training Center;
(5) $75,000 to the Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation, Inc., to promote and enhance statewide agricultural education;
(6) an amount not to exceed $30,000 in fiscal year 1998 and $20,000 in each fiscal year thereafter to the Great Pocomoke Fair, Inc. to support exhibition harness racing with money for construction and maintenance of new stalls, track maintenance, and purses;
(7) $500,000 to the Maryland Million, Ltd. to support and promote the running of Maryland Million races;
(8) $350,000 to the Maryland Standardbred Race Fund for the Sire Stakes Program; and
(9) beginning July 1, 2017, from the money distributed under § 9–120(b) of the State Government Article:
(i) up to $500,000 to a purse for the Maryland International thoroughbred race under § 11–522.1 of this title;
(ii) $350,000 to the Maryland Office of Sports Marketing in the Maryland Stadium Authority for incentive grants for youth and amateur sporting events; and
(iii) $150,000 to the Maryland Humanities Council for Maryland History Day and other programming.
(b) (1) In fiscal year 2017, the Comptroller shall pay, from the money distributed to the Special Fund, $500,000 to the Maryland Racing Commission to be used, in a manner determined by the Maryland Racing Commission, for a bonus award program for Maryland–bred or Maryland–sired horses running in the Preakness Stakes.
(2) The Maryland Racing Commission shall consult with representatives of the thoroughbred racing industry prior to establishing the rules and criteria for the bonus award program.
(3) If, under the rules of the bonus award program, funds remain in the program after the Preakness Stakes is conducted on one or more occasions, remaining funds shall carry over to the next fiscal year and may not revert to the General Fund.
(c) If the Maryland State Fair remains at the Timonium Fair Grounds, the Comptroller shall pay from the Special Fund an annual grant of:
(1) $500,000 to the Maryland State Fair and Agricultural Society, Inc., to:
(i) promote and enhance the Maryland State Fair; and
(ii) maintain and develop youth programs, with premium money provided to organizations, such as 4–H Clubs and the Future Farmers of America, for recognition and awards; and
(2) $50,000 to Baltimore County to replace the money formerly received by the county under this subtitle.
(d) Any amounts paid by the Comptroller for the purposes specified under subsections (a)(9) and (b) of this section shall remain available for those purposes and may not be used for any other purpose.