Article - Courts and Judicial Proceedings
(a) A law enforcement officer authorized to make arrests shall issue a citation to a child if the officer has probable cause to believe that the child is violating:
(1) § 5–601 of the Criminal Law Article involving the use or possession of less than 10 grams of marijuana;
(2) § 10–113, § 10–114, § 10–115, or § 10–116 of the Criminal Law Article;
(3) § 10–108 of the Criminal Law Article;
(4) § 10–132 of the Criminal Law Article;
(5) § 10–136 of the Criminal Law Article; or
(6) § 26–103 of the Education Article.
(b) A citation issued under this section shall be in a format prescribed by the State Court Administrator after consultation with police administrators and the Motor Vehicle Administrator. Each citation shall be signed by the issuing officer and shall contain:
(1) The name, address, and birth date of the child being charged with the violation;
(2) The name and address of the child’s parent or legal guardian;
(3) The statute allegedly violated;
(4) The time, place, and date of the violation;
(5) The driver’s license number of the child, if the child possesses a driver’s license;
(6) The registration number of the motor vehicle, motorcycle, or other vehicle, if applicable;
(7) The signature of the child; and
(8) The penalties which may be imposed under § 3-8A-19 of this subtitle.
(c) A copy of the citation issued under this section shall be:
(1) Given to the child being charged;
(2) Retained by the officer issuing the citation;
(3) Mailed within 7 days to the child’s parent or legal guardian; and
(4) Filed with the intake officer of the court having jurisdiction under this subtitle.