Article - Courts and Judicial Proceedings
(a) This section applies to a defendant who is required to pay a fine for one or more traffic offenses, including one or more citations for a violation of a parking ordinance or regulation adopted under Title 26, Subtitle 3 of the Transportation Article.
(b) (1) The District Court or a circuit court may authorize the clerk of the court to approve an individual installment plan agreement in accordance with this section for the payment of:
(i) One or more citations for a payable violation issued under § 26–201 of the Transportation Article; or
(ii) One or more fines imposed at a hearing or trial by the court.
(2) A defendant who agrees to enter into an installment plan agreement for the payment of one or more citations under paragraph (1)(i) of this subsection consents to conviction at the time of the agreement.
(c) (1) A defendant who is sentenced to pay one or more fines that total at least $150 and certifies that the defendant is unable to pay the fine or fines may apply to the clerk of the court to make installment payments in accordance with this section.
(2) An installment plan agreement under this section shall:
(i) Require that the defendant make installment payments on the total amount of the fine or fines covered by the agreement; and
(ii) Specify the offenses and citations to which the agreement applies.
(3) As a condition of an installment plan agreement, a defendant who enters into the agreement shall inform the clerk of the court of any change of address during the term of the agreement.
(4) (i) If a defendant fails to pay a fine in accordance with an installment plan agreement under this section, the clerk of the court may:
1. Refer the amount of the unpaid outstanding fine to the Central Collection Unit of the Department of Budget and Management; or
2. Process the unpaid outstanding fine as it would other outstanding fines owed the court.
(ii) The clerk of the court shall provide notice to the defendant of the disposition of the unpaid outstanding fine under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph in the same manner required for other outstanding fines processed in the same manner.
(d) The requirements of subsection (c) of this section shall be posted in the clerk’s office and on the website of the court.