Article - Criminal Procedure
(a) In Part I of this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Central Collection Unit” means the Central Collection Unit in the Department of Budget and Management.
(c) “Child” means a person under the age of 18 years.
(d) (1) “Crime” means an act committed by a person in the State that is a crime under:
(i) common law;
(ii) § 109 of the Code of Public Local Laws of Caroline County;
(iii) § 8A–1 of the Code of Public Local Laws of Talbot County; or
(iv) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the Annotated Code.
(2) “Crime” does not include a violation of the Transportation Article that is not punishable by a term of confinement.
(e) “Defendant” means a person:
(1) who has received probation before judgment;
(2) who has been found guilty of a crime, even if the defendant has been found not criminally responsible; or
(3) whose plea of nolo contendere to a crime has been accepted by the court.
(f) “Division” means the Division of Parole and Probation.
(g) “Judgment of restitution” means a direct order for payment of restitution or an order for payment of restitution that is a condition of probation in an order of probation.
(h) “Liable parent” means a parent:
(1) whose child has committed a crime or delinquent act; and
(2) who has been ordered to pay restitution under § 11-604 of this subtitle.
(i) “Restitution obligor” means a defendant, child respondent, or liable parent against whom a judgment of restitution has been entered.
(j) “Victim” means:
(1) a person who suffers death, personal injury, or property damage or loss as a direct result of a crime or delinquent act; or
(2) if the person is deceased, the personal representative of the estate of the person.