Article - Education
(a) In this article, unless the context requires otherwise, the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Any state” means:
(1) Any state, possession, or territory of the United States;
(2) The District of Columbia; and
(3) The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
(c) “County” means a county of this State and includes Baltimore City.
(d) “County board” means the board of education of a county and includes the Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners.
(e) “County superintendent” means the county superintendent of schools of a county and includes the Chief Executive Officer of the Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners.
(f) “Department” means the State Department of Education.
(g) “Elementary and secondary education” means education and programs of education from and including preschool through the end of high school and their equivalent.
(h) “Includes” or “including” means includes or including by way of illustration and not by way of limitation.
(i) “Person” includes:
(1) An individual, receiver, trustee, guardian, executor, administrator, fiduciary, or representative of any kind and any partnership, firm, association, public or private corporation, or other entity; and
(2) The State, any county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of this State, and any of their agencies or units.
(j) “Property” means any real or personal property or any interest in real or personal property.
(k) “Public schools” means the schools in the public elementary and secondary education system of this State.
(l) “State Board” means the State Board of Education.
(m) “State Superintendent” means the State Superintendent of Schools.