Article - Education
(a) (1) There is a body corporate and politic known as Morgan State University.
(2) The University is an instrumentality of the State and a public corporation.
(3) The University is an independent unit of State government.
(4) The exercise by the University of the powers conferred by this subtitle is the performance of an essential public function.
(b) Morgan State University:
(1) Has the responsibility, with other educational institutions, for providing higher education research and graduate study in the Baltimore area;
(2) Is designated as the State’s preeminent public urban research university with a mission of instruction, research, and service;
(3) Offers baccalaureate and graduate degrees in the arts and sciences;
(4) Emphasizes an education addressing urban concerns;
(5) Offers the professional and graduate programs approved by its Board of Regents and the Maryland Higher Education Commission;
(6) Shall be dedicated to the development and delivery of comprehensive and high–quality academic programs and services to its university community and the citizens of Maryland, particularly the citizens of the Baltimore region; and
(7) Shall serve a diverse citizenry in an innovative and collaborative manner, all the while exercising its responsibilities with uncompromising integrity through strong, but compassionate, leadership.
(c) (1) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Board of Regents” means the Board of Regents of Morgan State University.
(3) “University” means Morgan State University.