Article - Education
(a) The Board of Community College Trustees for Montgomery County consists of 10 members appointed by the Governor from nominees submitted by the Nominating Committee. Except for the student member, the members are appointed with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(b) One of the members shall be an enrolled student in good standing at Montgomery Community College. The student member:
(1) Shall be a resident of Montgomery County;
(2) May not be employed by Montgomery Community College;
(3) Serves for a term of 1 year, beginning July 1 and ending on June 30;
(4) Shall have a cumulative quality point average and a current semester quality point average of at least 2.0;
(5) Shall have successfully completed at least 18 credit hours at Montgomery Community College; and
(6) At the time of appointment and during the term of office, shall be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours at Montgomery Community College.
(c) (1) The Nominating Committee consists of five members. Of the members:
(i) Two shall be appointed by the County Council;
(ii) Two shall be appointed by the County Executive; and
(iii) One shall be appointed by the Montgomery Community College Alumni Association.
(2) Each member of the Nominating Committee:
(i) Shall be a resident of and a registered voter in Montgomery County;
(ii) Shall have a knowledge of and an interest in postsecondary education;
(iii) Shall have demonstrated an active interest in civic affairs;
(iv) May not be an officer of this State, Montgomery County, or any municipal corporation in Montgomery County or any of their agencies; and
(v) May not be an officer of, employed by, or subject to the authority of Montgomery Community College.
(3) (i) Each member of the Nominating Committee serves for a term of 2 years from September 15 of the year of the member’s appointment and until a successor is appointed and qualifies. These terms are staggered as required by the terms of the members serving on the Board as of July 1, 1978.
(ii) A member appointed to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term is appointed by the body that appointed the member’s predecessor and serves only for the remainder of that term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) (i) Each year, the Nominating Committee shall elect one of its members as its chairman.
(ii) The Committee may elect any other officer it requires.
(iii) The Committee may determine the place of its meetings and adopt rules for the conduct of its meetings.
(d) (1) The Nominating Committee shall:
(i) Notify the public of each vacancy on the Board of Community College Trustees;
(ii) Obtain recommendations from the faculty and students of the Community College and from other interested persons; and
(iii) Accept applications.
(2) The Committee shall submit to the Governor the names of at least two, but not more than four of the candidates selected by the Committee:
(i) On or before December 15 of the year before the term of a nonstudent member expires;
(ii) On or before April 15 of each year the term of a student member expires; and
(iii) When any other vacancy occurs.