Article - Education
(a) There is a Maryland State Library Board.
(b) (1) The State Library Board consists of 12 members, 7 of whom are appointed by the Governor. Each member is entitled to participate fully and equally in the activities of the Board.
(2) Each member shall:
(i) Be a resident of this State;
(ii) Be an individual of ability and integrity who is experienced in public or library affairs; and
(iii) Represent the interests of the citizens of this State in better library services.
(3) (i) Of the appointed members:
1. Five shall be selected from the public at large;
2. One shall be a professional librarian; and
3. One shall be a library trustee.
(ii) The Governor shall ensure geographic diversity when appointing members.
(4) The following officials serve ex officio and each may designate someone to serve in his place:
(i) The Secretary of Higher Education;
(ii) The President of the Board of Trustees of Enoch Pratt Free Library;
(iii) The President of the Maryland Library Association;
(iv) The Dean of the University of Maryland College of Library and Information Services; and
(v) The President of the Maryland Association of School Librarians.
(5) (i) Each appointed member serves for a term of 5 years and until a successor is appointed and qualifies. These terms are staggered as required by the terms of the members serving on July 1, 1978.
(ii) An appointed member may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
(iii) A member appointed to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term serves only for the remainder of that term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(6) Each member of the State Library Board:
(i) Serves without compensation; and
(ii) Is entitled to reimbursement for expenses in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations.
(c) (1) Each year:
(i) The Governor shall appoint a member of the State Library Board as its Chairman; and
(ii) The State Library Board shall elect one of its members as its vice chairman.
(2) The State Librarian shall:
(i) Serve as secretary to the State Library Board;
(ii) Record the proceedings of the State Library Board; and
(iii) Provide necessary staff services.
(3) Each year, the State Library Board:
(i) Shall hold at least four regular meetings; and
(ii) May hold special meetings as necessary.
(4) Seven members of the State Library Board are a quorum and at least 7 affirmative votes are required for any recommendation to:
(i) The State Library Agency; or
(ii) The Governor.
(d) The State Library Board shall:
(1) Gather information on the needs of libraries throughout this State;
(2) Oversee the State Library Agency;
(3) Advise the Governor on library matters; and
(4) Promote improvement of library services in this State.
(e) The State Library Board may be funded annually as provided in the budget of the State Library Agency.