Article - Education
(a) Except for money appropriated for the purposes of § 5-301(b) through (j) of this title, all money appropriated by the General Assembly to aid in support of public schools constitutes the General State School Fund.
(b) Money in the General State School Fund may be appropriated by the General Assembly to the Annuity Bond Fund, as provided in the State budget, and shall be used for principal and interest payments on State debt incurred for public school construction or public school capital improvements.
(c) The State Comptroller shall charge against and, as provided in this section, pay from the General State School Fund the following annual appropriations for:
(1) The support of the Department, including the expenses of the State Board and the support and expenses of the office of the State Superintendent;
(2) The Maryland Teachers’ Retirement System;
(3) The education of disabled children;
(4) Subsidized or free feeding programs;
(5) The administration and supervision of career and technology education in public high schools and career and technology centers;
(6) Physical education and recreation;
(7) Case and guidance service for individuals with disabilities who need vocational rehabilitation;
(8) Equivalence examinations;
(9) Public libraries;
(10) Adult education;
(11) The State share of the foundation program as provided in § 5-202 of this subtitle;
(12) Student transportation, as provided in § 5-205 of this subtitle;
(13) The school building construction aid as provided in § 5-301(c) of this title;
(14) The State funding for compensatory education under § 5-207 of this subtitle;
(15) The State funding for students with limited English proficiency under § 5-208 of this subtitle;
(16) The State funding for special education under § 5-209 of this subtitle; and
(17) The Guaranteed Tax Base program under § 5-210 of this subtitle.
(d) Except as provided in this section, the Comptroller may not charge against and pay from the General State School Fund any appropriations made to accomplish the purposes of § 5-301(a), (b), or (d) of this title.
(e) (1) For the purposes of calculating the local share of the foundation program under § 5-202 of this subtitle and regardless of the source of the funds, all funds that a county board or the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore City are authorized to expend for schools may be considered as levied by the county council, board of county commissioners, or the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore except for:
(i) State appropriations;
(ii) Federal education aid payments; and
(iii) The amount of the expenditure authorized for debt service and capital outlay.
(2) Except as provided in this section, these appropriations to a county, academy, college, or university may not be paid from the General State School Fund.