Article - General Provisions
(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Applicant” means a person or governmental unit that asks to inspect a public record.
(c) “Board” means the State Public Information Act Compliance Board.
(d) “Custodian” means:
(1) the official custodian; or
(2) any other authorized individual who has physical custody and control of a public record.
(e) “News media” means:
(4) press associations;
(5) news agencies;
(6) wire services;
(8) television; and
(9) any printed, photographic, mechanical, or electronic means of disseminating news and information to the public.
(f) “Official custodian” means an officer or employee of the State or of a political subdivision who is responsible for keeping a public record, whether or not the officer or employee has physical custody and control of the public record.
(g) “Person in interest” means:
(1) a person or governmental unit that is the subject of a public record or a designee of the person or governmental unit;
(2) if the person has a legal disability, the parent or legal representative of the person; or
(3) as to requests for correction of certificates of death under § 5–310(d)(2) of the Health – General Article, the spouse, adult child, parent, adult sibling, grandparent, or guardian of the person of the deceased at the time of the deceased’s death.
(h) (1) “Personal information” means information that identifies an individual.
(2) Except as provided in § 4–355 of this title, “personal information” includes an individual’s:
(iii) driver’s license number or any other identification number;
(iv) medical or disability information;
(v) photograph or computer–generated image;
(vi) Social Security number; and
(vii) telephone number.
(3) “Personal information” does not include an individual’s:
(i) driver’s status;
(ii) driving offenses;
(iii) five–digit zip code; or
(iv) information on vehicular accidents.
(i) “Political subdivision” means:
(1) a county;
(2) a municipal corporation;
(3) an unincorporated town;
(4) a school district; or
(5) a special district.
(j) (1) “Public record” means the original or any copy of any documentary material that:
(i) is made by a unit or an instrumentality of the State or of a political subdivision or received by the unit or instrumentality in connection with the transaction of public business; and
(ii) is in any form, including:
1. a card;
2. a computerized record;
4. a drawing;
5. film or microfilm;
6. a form;
7. a map;
8. a photograph or photostat;
9. a recording; or
10. a tape.
(2) “Public record” includes a document that lists the salary of an employee of a unit or an instrumentality of the State or of a political subdivision.
(3) “Public record” does not include a digital photographic image or signature of an individual, or the actual stored data of the image or signature, recorded by the Motor Vehicle Administration.