Article - Health - General
(a) The Department shall adopt guidelines, after notice and public hearing in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act, setting forth:
(1) The circumstances under which pertussis vaccine should not be administered;
(2) The circumstances under which administration of the vaccine should be delayed;
(3) Any categories of potential recipients who are significantly more vulnerable to major adverse reactions than is the general population; and
(4) Procedures to notify all physicians of the content of the final guidelines and all updates issued thereafter.
(b) The administration of pertussis vaccine to an individual may not be required by any provision of law if, in the physician’s medical judgment:
(1) The circumstances specified under subsection (a)(1) or (2) of this section are present; or
(2) Taking into account the information specified under subsection (a)(3) of this section as well as all other relevant information, and the risk to the potential recipient outweighs the benefits both to the potential recipient and to the public in administering the vaccine.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect any emergency authority of the Secretary under any other provision of law to protect the public health.