Article - Health Occupations
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Board” means the State Board of Physicians.
(c) “Certification” means recognition of an individual who has satisfied certain standards required by a national certifying board.
(d) “Committee” means the Radiation Therapy, Radiography, Nuclear Medicine Technology, and Radiology Assistance Advisory Committee of the Board.
(f) “License” means a license issued by the Board to practice as a radiation therapist, radiographer, nuclear medicine technologist, or radiologist assistant.
(g) “Licensed nuclear medicine technologist” means a nuclear medicine technologist who is licensed by the Board to practice nuclear medicine technology.
(h) “Licensed radiation therapist” means a radiation therapist who is licensed by the Board to practice radiation therapy.
(i) “Licensed radiographer” means a radiographer who is licensed by the Board to practice radiography.
(j) “Licensed radiologist assistant” means an individual who is licensed to practice radiology assistance under the supervision of a licensed physician who:
(1) Specializes in radiology; and
(2) Is certified by:
(i) The American Board of Radiology;
(ii) The American Osteopathic Board of Radiology;
(iii) The British Royal College of Radiology; or
(iv) The Canadian College of Physicians and Surgeons.
(k) “Licensee” means an individual who is licensed by the Board to practice as a radiation therapist, a radiographer, a nuclear medicine technologist, or radiologist assistant.
(l) “National certifying board” means:
(1) The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists;
(2) The Nuclear Medicine Technology Certifying Board; or
(3) Another certifying organization approved by the Board.
(m) “Practice nuclear medicine technology” means to:
(1) Prepare and administer radiopharmaceuticals to human beings; or
(2) Conduct in vivo detection and measurement of radioactivity for medical purposes to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of disease or injury.
(n) “Practice radiation therapy” means to perform tumor localization radiography and apply therapeutic doses of radiation for the treatment of disease or injury.
(o) “Practice radiography” means to use ionizing radiation to:
(1) Demonstrate portions of the human body to assist in the diagnosis or localization of disease or injury; or
(2) Perform tumor localization radiography.
(p) “Practice radiology assistance” means to practice radiography and to perform:
(1) Fluoroscopy and selected radiology procedures;
(2) Patient assessment; and
(3) Patient management.
(q) “Supervision” means the responsibility of a licensed physician to exercise on–site or immediately available direction for licensees or holders of temporary licenses.