Article - Health Occupations
(a) (1) The Committee shall consist of 7 members appointed by the Board.
(2) Of the 7 Committee members:
(i) 3 shall be licensed physicians;
(ii) 3 shall be licensed physician assistants; and
(iii) 1 shall be a consumer.
(3) Of the licensed physician members:
(i) At least 1 shall specialize in general surgery or a surgical subspecialty;
(ii) At least 1 shall specialize in internal medicine, family practice, or a similar primary care specialty; and
(iii) 1 shall be a Board member.
(4) The Board shall appoint the physician assistant members from a list of names submitted by:
(i) The Maryland Academy of Physician Assistants; and
(ii) The State institutions of higher education with approved physician assistant programs.
(5) The consumer member:
(i) Shall be a member of the general public;
(ii) May not be a physician, former physician, physician assistant, or a person in training to become a physician or physician assistant;
(iii) May not have a household member who is a physician or physician assistant, or a person in training to become a physician assistant; and
(iv) May not have had within 2 years before appointment a substantial financial interest in a process regulated by the Board.
(6) Each member of the Committee shall be a resident of the State.
(b) Of the three physician members of the Committee, two shall be previously or currently serving as supervising physicians of a physician assistant under a Board–approved delegation agreement.
(c) (1) The physician assistant members shall be licensed as a physician assistant under this title.
(2) The physician assistant members shall be currently practicing as a physician assistant or employed as a faculty member of an accredited physician assistant program.
(3) Of the 3 physician assistant members of the Committee:
(i) At least 1 shall be currently practicing in a hospital; and
(ii) At least 1 shall be currently practicing in a nonhospital setting.
(d) A Committee chair and a secretary shall be selected every 2 years by a majority vote of the membership of the Committee.
(e) The chair, or the chair’s designee, shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Board as a representative of the Committee.