Article - Housing and Community Development
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Anchor institution” means:
(i) an institution of higher education in the State; or
(ii) a hospital institution in the State that:
1. has a group of at least five physicians who are organized as a medical staff for the institution;
2. maintains facilities to provide, under the supervision of the medical staff, diagnostic and treatment services for two or more unrelated individuals; and
3. admits or retains the individuals for overnight care.
(3) “Blighted area” means an area in which a majority of buildings have declined in productivity by reason of obsolescence, depreciation, or other causes to an extent that they no longer justify fundamental repairs and adequate maintenance.
(4) “Fund” means the Seed Community Development Anchor Institution Fund.
(b) There is a Seed Community Development Anchor Institution Fund.
(c) The purpose of the Fund is to provide grants and loans to anchor institutions for community development projects in blighted areas of the State.
(d) The Department shall administer the Fund.
(e) (1) The Fund is a special, nonlapsing fund that is not subject to § 7–302 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(2) The State Treasurer shall hold the Fund separately, and the Comptroller shall account for the Fund.
(f) The Fund consists of:
(1) money appropriated in the State budget to the Fund;
(2) interest earnings of the Fund; and
(3) any other money from any other source accepted for the benefit of the Fund.
(g) (1) The Fund may be used only to provide grants and loans to anchor institutions for community development projects in blighted areas of the State.
(2) To be eligible for a grant or loan, an anchor institution shall provide evidence of matching funds from a private source.
(3) The Department shall award grants and loans from the Fund on a competitive basis.
(h) (1) The State Treasurer shall invest the money of the Fund in the same manner as other State money may be invested.
(2) Any interest earnings of the Fund shall be credited to the Fund.
(i) Expenditures from the Fund may be made only in accordance with the State budget.
(j) (1) For fiscal year 2019, the Governor shall include in the annual budget bill or the capital budget bill an appropriation of $4,000,000 to the Fund.
(2) For fiscal year 2020, the Governor shall include in the annual budget bill or the capital budget bill an appropriation of $5,000,000 for the Fund.
(3) For fiscal year 2021 and each fiscal year thereafter, the Governor shall include in the annual budget bill or the capital budget bill an appropriation of $10,000,000 for the Fund.