Article - Human Services
(a) In this section, “assisted living program” has the meaning stated in § 19–1801 of the Health – General Article.
(b) The Secretary shall develop assisted living programs for seniors in conjunction with:
(1) public or private for profit or nonprofit corporations; or
(2) State or federal units.
(c) (1) The Secretary shall:
(i) make maximum use of rent and other subsidies available from federal and State sources; and
(ii) provide for and set, by regulation, the amount of subsidies necessary from State general funds to assist low–income seniors to reside in assisted living programs as an alternative to more costly institutional care that is not required.
(2) Subsidies under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection may include, when necessary and in accordance with available funds, monthly subsidies for residents of assisted living programs whose adjusted gross annual income is less than their cost of care for assisted living services.
(3) When necessary and in accordance with available funds, the Secretary shall provide subsidies for congregate meals, housekeeping, and personal services for assisted living programs and develop eligibility requirements for these subsidies.
(4) The Secretary shall adopt regulations to govern eligibility requirements for subsidies.
(d) The Secretary shall:
(1) find sponsors for assisted living programs; and
(2) assist developers in formulating design concepts and meeting program needs.
(e) The Secretary shall review the compliance of assisted living programs with the regulations that the Secretary of Health adopts for licensing these programs to operate in the State.