Article - Public Safety
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Department” means the Maryland Department of Labor.
(c) (1) “First user” means a person who initially installs an industrialized building or manufactured home in the State.
(2) “First user” does not include a person who subsequently buys a building that consists wholly or partly of an industrialized building.
(d) (1) “Industrialized building” means a building assembly or system of building subassemblies manufactured in its entirety, or in substantial part, off site and transported to a site for installation or erection, with or without other specified components, as a finished building or as part of a finished building that comprises two or more industrialized building units.
(2) “Industrialized building” includes the electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating, insulation, and other service systems of the building assembly or system of building subassemblies if the service systems are installed at the off site manufacture or assembly point.
(3) “Industrialized building” does not include:
(i) open frame construction that can be completely inspected on site;
(ii) a manufactured home; or
(iii) a building 8 body feet or less in width and 40 body feet or less in length that is:
1. used for business purposes, mobile offices, or storage; and
2. not open to the general public.
(e) “Install” means to assemble an industrialized building or manufactured home on site and to affix the industrialized building or manufactured home to land, a foundation, footings, or an existing building.
(f) “Local enforcement agency” means an agency of the governing body of a county or municipal corporation that enforces laws that govern the construction of buildings.
(g) (1) “Manufactured home” means a structure that:
(i) is transportable in one or more sections;
(ii) is 8 body feet or more in width and 30 body feet or more in length;
(iii) is built on a permanent chassis; and
(iv) is designed to be used as a dwelling, with or without a permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities.
(2) “Manufactured home” includes the plumbing, heating, air–conditioning, and electrical systems contained in the structure.
(h) “Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act” means the National Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974, 42 U.S.C. § 5401 et seq.
(i) “Site” means the entire tract, subdivision, or parcel of land on which an industrialized building or manufactured home is installed.