Article - Public Utilities
(a) There is a Maryland Underground Facilities Damage Prevention Education and Outreach Fund.
(b) The purpose of the Fund is to cover the costs of:
(1) public education and outreach programs; and
(2) the development of safety procedures to prevent damage to underground facilities.
(c) The Authority shall hold and administer the Fund.
(d) The Fund is a special, nonlapsing fund that is not subject to § 7–302 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(e) The Fund consists of:
(1) civil penalties paid into the Fund under § 12–135 of this subtitle;
(2) investment earnings of the Fund; and
(3) any other money from any other source accepted for the benefit of the Fund.
(f) (1) The Fund may be used only for:
(i) public education and outreach programs for the prevention of damage to underground facilities; and
(ii) the development of safety procedures for excavation and demolition projects conducted in the area of underground facilities.
(2) The Authority may make grants to local governments or private entities consistent with the purposes of the Fund.