Article - Transportation
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Abandoned vehicle” means any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer:
(1) That is inoperable and left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;
(2) That has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;
(3) That has remained on private property for more than 48 hours without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property;
(4) That has remained in a garage for more than 10 days after the garage keeper has given the owner of the vehicle notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, bearing a postmark from the United States Postal Service, to remove the vehicle;
(5) That has remained in a garage for more than 10 days after the period when, by contract, the vehicle was to remain in the garage;
(6) That was left for more than 10 days in a garage by:
(i) Someone other than its registered owner; or
(ii) A person authorized to have possession of the vehicle under a contract of use, service, storage, or repair;
(7) That has remained on public property for more than 48 hours and:
(i) Is not displaying currently valid registration plates; or
(ii) Is displaying registration plates of another vehicle;
(8) That has been left unattended on any portion of a “controlled access highway” as defined in § 8–101(f) of this article for more than 24 hours;
(9) That has been left unattended on any portion of a primary or secondary highway or controlled access highway, as defined in § 8–101 of this article, and is in violation of any of the provisions of § 22–408 of this article; or
(10) That is not reclaimed as provided under § 27–111 of this article.
(c) “Garage” means any of the following, if operated for commercial purposes:
(1) A parking place or establishment;
(2) A vehicle storage facility; or
(3) An establishment for the servicing, repair, or maintenance of vehicles.
(d) (1) “Lessor” means a person who regularly leases or offers to lease motor vehicles.
(2) “Lessor” includes:
(i) An assignee of leases; and
(ii) A person who during any 12–month period offers to lease 5 or more motor vehicles or who is assigned 5 or more leases.
(e) “Police department” means:
(1) The Department of State Police;
(2) The police department of any political subdivision of this State;
(3) In Baltimore City, the appropriate agency designated by the Board of Estimates;
(4) The police forces of public colleges and universities;
(5) In Prince George’s County, an appropriate agency or department designated by the County Executive;
(6) In any municipality in Prince George’s County or Montgomery County, an appropriate agency or department designated by the governing body of the municipality; and
(7) The police force of any State government agency.