Senator Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr.
- Prince George's, Charles and Calvert
- Committee Assignment(s)
Budget and Taxation Committee
Executive Nominations Committee
- Budget and Taxation Committee
- Annapolis Info
1 East Miller Senate Office Bldg.
11 Bladen St.
Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone 410-841-3700 | 301-858-3700
Toll-free in MD 1-800-492-7122 ext. 3700
Fax 410-841-3910 | 301-858-3901
- 1 East Miller Senate Office Bldg.
- Interim Info
8808 Old Branch Avenue
Clinton, MD 20735
- Phone 301-868-6931
- 8808 Old Branch Avenue
Denotes enacted legislation
- First elected to the Senate in 1974. Member of the Senate since 1975. Longest Serving Maryland Senate President and Longest Serving President of the Senate in the United States, 1987-2020.
- Current Assignments
- 2020 President Emeritus
- 2020 Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2020 Capital Budget Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2020 Public Safety, Transportation, and Environment Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2020 Legislative Policy Committee (Co-Chair 1987-2020)
- 1983- Senate Rules Committee
- 2001- Senate Executive Nominations Committee
- 1991- Joint Committee on Spending Affordability
- Past Senate Service
- President of the Senate, 1987-2020; Co-Chair, Management Subcommittee of the Legislative Policy Committee, 1987-2020; Senate Chair, Joint Committee on Investigation, 1997-2020; Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics, 1987-1989; Chair, Judicial Proceedings Committee, 1983-1986; Deputy Majority Leader, 1983-1986.
- Past House Service 1971-1975
- Judiciary Committee, 1971-1975.
- Public Service
- Advisory Board on After-School and Summer Opportunity Programs, 2012-2016; Governor's Redistricting Advisory Committee, 2011, 2001-2002; Maryland Access to Justice Commission, 2008-2014; Executive Committee, Southern Legislative Conference of Council of State Governments, 2008; Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission, 2007-; Delegate, Democratic Party National Convention, 2004, 2000, 1992; Chair, Southern Legislative Conference of Council of State Governments, 2001-2002; Vice Chair, Southern Legislative Conference of Council of State Governments, 2000; Presidential Elector, Maryland, 2000; Southern Legislative Conference of Council of State Governments, 1999-; Task Force to Study Retail Electric Competition and the Restructuring of the Electric Utility Industry, 1997-1998; Hall of Records Commission, 1996-; Task Force on Affiliation Between Historic St. Mary's City Commission and St. Mary's College of Maryland, 1996; Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland, 1995-, 1975-1982; Maryland 1992 Commission, 1989-1994; State Commission on the Capital City, 1987-1992; Museum Assistance Review Panel, 1990-, 1990-; Governor's Task Force on Trees and Forests, 1990; State House Trust, 1987-; Advisory Council on Lead Poisoning, 1987; Maryland Veterans Home Commission, 1987; Chesapeake Bay Trust, 1987; Maryland Housing Policy Commission, 1987; Governor's Oversight Committee on Liability Insurance, 1986; Executive/Legislative Committee to Study the Feasibility of a Biennial Budget, 1985.
- President, Senate Presidents' Forum, 1997-1999; President, Southern States Senate Leaders Conference, 1988; Board of Directors, State Legislative Leaders Foundation, 1987-; Board of Directors, Accokeek Foundation; Chair, Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee; American Bar Association; Maryland State Bar Association (Special Committee on Citizenship and Law-Related Education, 2002- ); Prince George's County Bar Association; Calvert, Surratts, Brandywine, Nottingham, Fort Washington, and Upper Marlboro Democratic Clubs; Past Officer or Director of numerous boys and girls clubs, civic, fraternal, business, social and historical organizations.
- Daily Record ICON Honors Award, 2019; Award, National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence of Maryland, 2017; Civic Leadership Award, Community Foundation for the National Capital Region, 2015; Distinguished Legislator Award, Maryland Municipal League, 2014; Distinguished Service Award, Maryland Council for Social Studies, 2011; Outstanding Service Award, University of Maryland College Park Foundation, 2010; National Conservation Leadership Award, Accokeek Foundation, 2009; Marylander of the Year, Maryland Historical Society, 2007; Citation, Maryland Healthy Air Act Coalition, 2006; Alumni Hall of Fame, University of Maryland, 2005; Recognition Award, Maryland Association of Counties, 2004, 1993; John R. Hargreaves Distinguished Legislative Fellow Award, Institute for Public Affairs and Civic Engagement, Salisbury University, 2002; Tyser Medallion, University of Maryland Alumni Association, 1999; Louis Goldstein Award for Public Service, Maryland AHEAD, 1999; William M. Bulger Excellence in State Legislative Leadership Award, State Legislative Leaders Foundation, 1997; Distinguished Alumnus of the Year, University of Maryland, 1988; William P. Coliton Community Service Award, The Johns Hopkins University, 1986; Public Service Award, AFL-CIO, Local 400; Outstanding Knight of Columbus; Outstanding Citizen, Prince George's County Board of Trade; Outstanding Legislator, Maryland Municipal League; Recipient of awards from Washington-area Boy Scouts, Prince George's County Volunteer Fire Departments, Maryland Med-Chi, Maryland and Prince George's County Police Departments, Sierra Club, and veterans groups.
- Biographical Information
- Born, Clinton, Maryland, December 3, 1942; Prince George's County Public Schools, Surrattsville High School; University of Maryland, B.S., Business Administration, 1964; University of Maryland School of Law, LL.B., J.D., 1967; Admitted to Maryland Bar, 1967; Attorney in Private Practice; Married; five children, fourteen grandchildren.
Last Updated: 7/9/2020 1:18 PM