Article - Education
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Center” means the Maryland Longitudinal Data System Center.
(c) (1) “Child welfare data” means data relating to a child’s experience with child protective services, family preservation services, and State–sponsored out–of–home services.
(2) “Child welfare data” includes:
(i) Out–of–home placement data, including:
1. Supervising jurisdiction;
2. Removal reason;
3. Characteristics at the time of removal;
4. Return reason;
5. Placement start and end dates; and
6. Placement type;
(ii) Family preservation services data, including:
1. Supervising jurisdiction;
2. Type of family preservation service; and
3. Service start and end dates; and
(iii) Child protective services data, including:
1. Responsible jurisdiction;
2. Type of child protective service response;
3. Date on which child protective services responded;
4. Alleged maltreatment type;
5. Disposition of an investigative response by child protective services; and
6. Date on which child protective services completes a response.
(d) “De–identified data” means a data set in which parent and student identity information, including the State Assigned Student Identifier and student Social Security number, has been removed.
(e) “Governing Board” means the Governing Board of the Maryland Longitudinal Data System Center.
(f) (1) “Industry certificate” means a certificate or license awarded by an industry certifier that prepares an individual to work in a career field.
(2) “Industry certificate” does not include a business license or vocational certificate.
(g) “Industry certifier” means a nationally recognized, third–party entity using predetermined standards for knowledge and skills that prepare an individual to work in a career field.
(h) “License” means an occupational or professional license issued to an individual under the Business Occupations and Professions Article, the Business Regulation Article, or the Health Occupations Article.
(i) “Licensing authority” means a State entity that issues a license to an individual.
(j) (1) “Personally identifiable information” means data that can be used to identify a particular individual and match that individual’s student or workforce record across different data sources.
(2) “Personally identifiable information” includes:
(ii) Date of birth; and
(iii) Social Security number, SASID, or other government–assigned identification number.
(k) “State Assigned Student Identifier” or “SASID” means the identifier assigned to each student by:
(1) A local education agency based on the identifier system developed by the State Department of Education; or
(2) An institution of higher education, if the student has not been assigned an identifier by a local education agency.
(l) (1) “Student data” means data relating to or impacting student performance.
(2) “Student data” includes:
(i) State and national assessments;
(ii) Course–taking and completion;
(iii) Grade point average;
(vi) Degree, diploma, or credential attainment;
(viii) Demographic data;
(ix) Juvenile delinquency records;
(x) Elementary and secondary school disciplinary records;
(xi) Child welfare data;
(xii) License, industry certificate, or vocational certificate; and
(xiii) Personally identifiable information.
(3) “Student data” does not include:
(i) Criminal and CINA records; and
(ii) Medical and health records.
(m) “Vocational certificate” means a certificate or license awarded by an institution of postsecondary education approved to operate under § 11–202 of this article on completion of a course of study, including credit–bearing and noncredit courses, that prepares an individual to work in a career field.
(n) “Workforce data” means data about employees relating to:
(1) Employment status;
(2) Wage information;
(3) Geographic location of employment;
(4) Employer information; and
(5) Personally identifiable information.