Article - Education
(a) The Cecil County Board consists of six members as follows:
(1) One voting member elected from each of the five commissioner districts; and
(2) One nonvoting student member.
(b) The five voting members of the county board shall be elected at a general election as required by subsection (c) of this section.
(c) (1) A member from a county commissioner district shall be a resident of the district.
(2) A member from a county commissioner district who no longer resides in the district may not continue as a member of the county board.
(3) A candidate elected to the county board shall be a registered voter and resident of Cecil County for at least 3 years.
(d) (1) Except as provided under subsection (e) of this section, each voting member serves for a term of 4 years beginning on the first Monday in December after the member’s election and until a successor is elected and qualifies.
(2) A voting member may not serve for more than two terms.
(3) The Governor shall appoint a new member to fill any vacancy on the county board for the remainder of that term and until a successor is elected and qualifies.
(e) The terms of the voting members are staggered as follows:
(1) Members of the county board from commissioner districts 3, 4, and 5 shall be elected at the 2006 general election and every 4 years thereafter; and
(2) Members of the county board from commissioner districts 1 and 2 shall be elected at the 2008 general election and every 4 years thereafter.
(f) (1) The student member shall:
(i) Be an eleventh or twelfth grade student in the Cecil County public school system elected by the high school students of the county in accordance with procedures established by the school system;
(ii) Serve for 1 year beginning on July 1 after the election of the member;
(iii) Be a nonvoting member; and
(iv) Advise the county board on the thoughts and feelings of students.
(2) Unless invited to attend by an affirmative vote of a majority of the county board, the student member may not attend an executive session.