Article - Education
(a) There is a School Safety Subcabinet Advisory Board.
(b) The Advisory Board shall include the following members:
(1) One member of the Senate of Maryland, appointed by the President of the Senate;
(2) One member of the House of Delegates, appointed by the Speaker of the House;
(3) A representative of local superintendents of schools, appointed by the Public School Superintendents’ Association of Maryland;
(4) A representative of the Maryland Association of Boards of Education, appointed by the Association;
(5) A school psychologist or licensed or clinical social worker, appointed by the State Superintendent;
(6) A special education administrator, appointed by the State Superintendent;
(7) A classroom teacher, appointed jointly by the Maryland State Education Association and the Baltimore Teachers Union;
(8) A school principal, appointed by the State Superintendent;
(9) One representative of the Department of Human Services, appointed by the Secretary of Human Services;
(10) One representative of the Department of Juvenile Services, appointed by the Secretary of Juvenile Services;
(11) A school resource officer, appointed by the Maryland Association of School Resource Officers;
(12) A sheriff, appointed by the Maryland Sheriffs’ Association;
(13) A chief of police, appointed by the Maryland Chiefs of Police Association, Inc.;
(14) An emergency medical, fire, or rescue services professional, appointed by the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems;
(15) The Director of the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center, or the Director’s designee;
(16) One representative of the Maryland Assembly on School–Based Health Care, appointed by the Assembly;
(17) One representative of the Maryland Association of Student Councils, appointed by the Association;
(18) One representative of the Center for School Mental Health at the University of Maryland, Baltimore Campus, appointed by the Center for School Mental Health;
(19) One representative of Disability Rights Maryland, appointed by Disability Rights Maryland; and
(20) The following five members of the public, appointed by the Governor:
(i) A parent of a public school student in the State;
(ii) A parent of a child with disabilities who attends a school in the State;
(iii) A representative of a nonpublic school in the State;
(iv) A representative of school bus drivers; and
(v) A representative of a nonpublic special education school.
(c) The Governor shall appoint a chair of the Advisory Board from among its members.
(d) A member appointed by the Governor:
(1) Serves at the pleasure of the Governor;
(2) Serves for a term of 3 years and until a successor is appointed and qualifies; and
(3) May be reappointed but may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
(e) A member of the Advisory Board:
(1) May not receive compensation as a member of the Advisory Board; but
(2) Is entitled to reimbursement for expenses under the Standard State Travel Regulations, as provided in the State budget.
(f) The Advisory Board shall meet regularly at such times and places as it determines.
(g) The Advisory Board shall provide the Subcabinet with advice and assist the Subcabinet in completing its duties.