Bill number does not exist. Enter a vaild keyword.

Statutes Text

Article - Family Law


    (a)    A law enforcement officer who responds to a request for help under § 4–502 of this Part I of this subtitle shall give the victim a written notice that:

        (1)    includes the telephone number of a local domestic violence program that receives funding from the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services; and

        (2)    states that:

            (i)    the victim may request that a District Court commissioner file a criminal charging document against the alleged abuser;

            (ii)    if the commissioner declines to charge the alleged abuser, the victim may request that the State’s Attorney file a criminal charging document against the alleged abuser;

            (iii)    the victim may file in the District Court or a circuit court or, when neither the office of the clerk of the circuit court nor the Office of the District Court Clerk is open, with a commissioner, a petition under this subtitle; and

            (iv)    the victim may obtain a copy of the incident report, as provided under § 4–503.1 of this Part I of this subtitle.

    (b)    A law enforcement officer may not be held liable in a civil action that arises from the officer’s failure to provide the notice required under subsection (a) of this section.

Click to return on the top page