Article - Local Government
(a) In addition to, but not as part of, an annexation resolution, the legislative body of the municipality shall adopt an annexation plan for the area to be annexed.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, for an annexation that began before October 1, 2009, the annexation plan shall:
(1) contain a description of the land use pattern proposed for the area to be annexed, which may include a county master plan already in effect for the area;
(2) describe the schedule to extend each municipal service performed in the municipality at the time of the annexation to the area to be annexed;
(3) describe the general methods by which the municipality anticipates financing the extension of municipal services to the area to be annexed; and
(4) be presented so as to demonstrate the available land for public facilities that may be considered reasonably necessary for the proposed use, including facilities for schools, water or sewage treatment, libraries, recreation, or fire or police services.
(c) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, for annexation that begins on or after October 1, 2009, the annexation plan shall be consistent with the municipal growth element of the comprehensive plan of the municipality.
(d) For purposes of subsections (b) and (c) of this section, an annexation begins when a proposal for annexation is initiated by:
(1) resolution under § 4–403 of this subtitle; or
(2) petition under § 4–404 of this subtitle.
(e) (1) On or after October 1, 2009, a municipality may submit an annexation plan under subsection (b) of this section if the municipality is granted an extension for the inclusion of a municipal growth element under § 3–304 of the Land Use Article.
(2) After the expiration of a final extension granted under § 3–304 of the Land Use Article for the inclusion of a municipal growth element, an annexation plan shall be submitted in accordance with subsection (c) of this section.
(f) At least 30 days before the public hearing on an annexation resolution required under § 4–406 of this subtitle, a copy of the annexation plan shall be provided to:
(1) the governing body of any county in which the municipality is located;
(2) the Department of Planning; and
(3) any regional or State planning agency with jurisdiction in the county.
(g) (1) The annexation plan shall be open to public review and discussion at the public hearing on the annexation resolution.
(2) An amendment to the annexation plan does not:
(i) amend the proposed annexation resolution; or
(ii) cause a reinitiation of the annexation procedure then in process.