Senator George C. Edwards
- Garrett, Allegany, and Washington
- Committee Assignment(s)
- Annapolis Info
322 James Senate Office Building
11 Bladen Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Toll-free in MD
- 322 James Senate Office Building
- Interim Info
13 Canal Street, Room 304
Cumberland, MD 21502
- Phone 301-722-4780
- 13 Canal Street, Room 304
Denotes enacted legislation
- First elected to the Senate in 2006. Member of the Senate since 2007.
- Current Assignments
- 2007- Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2008- Capital Budget Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2011- Pensions Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2011- Public Safety, Transportation and Environment Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee
- 2011- Rules Committee
- 2011- Executive Nominations Committee
- 2013- Legislative Policy Committee
- 2007- Joint Audit Committee
- 2013- Joint Committee on Gaming Oversight
- 2011- Joint Committee on Pensions
- 2007- Joint Subcommittee on Program Open Space/Agricultural Land Preservation
- 2011- Joint Committee on Spending Affordability
- Chair, Senate Select Committee No. 1, Allegany, Garrett and Washington Counties
- 2013- Special Joint Commission on Public Safety and Security in State and Local Correctional Facilities
- Past Senate Service
- Standing Committee on Reapportionment and Redistricting, 2011-2012; Health, Education, and Human Resources Subcommittee of the Budget and Taxation Committee, 2008-2010; Finance Committee, 2007.
- Past House Service 1983-2007
- Special Committee on State Employee Rights and Protections, 2005-2007; Minority Leader, 2003-2007; Management Subcommittee of the Legislative Policy Committee, 2003-2007; Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics, 2003-2007; Oversight Committee on Personnel of the Appropriations Committee, 2003-2007; Spending Affordability Committee, 2003-2007; Chair, Allegany County Delegation, 1998-2007; Rules and Executive Nominations Committee, 1995-2007; Special Joint Commission on Pensions, 1995-2007; Transportation and the Environment Subcommittee of the Appropriations Committee, 1995-2007; Oversight Committee on Pensions of the Appropriations Committee, 1995-2007; Chair, Oversight Committee on Program Open Space and Agricultural Land Preservation of the Appropriations Committee, 1994-2002; Capital Budget Subcommittee of the Appropriations Committee, 1992-2007; Joint Committee on Program Open Space and Agricultural Land Preservation, 1991-2007; Appropriations Committee, 1983-2007; Chair, Garrett County Delegation, 1983-2007; Chair, Western Maryland Delegation, 1995-2004; Chair, Oversight Committee on Personnel of the Appropriations Committee, 2003; Special Committee on the Selection of the State Treasurer, 2003; House Chair, Joint Committee on Program Open Space and Agricultural Land Preservation, 1991-2003; Deputy Minority Whip, 1996-1997; Health and the Environment Subcommittee of the Appropriations Committee, 1992-1994.
- Public Service
- Marcellus Shale Safe-Drilling Initiative Advisory Commission, 2011-; Small Business Task Force, 2009; Agriculture and Energy Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2008-; Environment Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2008-; Agriculture, Environment, and Energy Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2007-2008; Joint Commission on the Maryland Port Administration, 2005-2007; Environment and Natural Resources Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2005-2007; Deep Creek Lake Policy and Review Board, 2000-2007; State Advisory Board for Juvenile Services, 2000-2005; Delegate, Republican Party National Convention, 2004; Task Force to Study Public School Facilities, 2002-2004; Governor’s Commission on the Structure and Efficiency of State Government, Environmental Programs Subcommittee, 2003; Transportation Task Force, 2003; Joint Committee on the Management of Public Funds, 1995-2003; Youth Centers Advisory Board, Department of Juvenile Services, 2002-; Western Maryland Economic Development Task Force, 1998-2002; Governor’s Flood Mitigation Task Force for Western Maryland, 1996-2002; Transit Policy Panel, 2000; Citizens Advisory Board for Brandenburg Center, 1991-2000; Maryland Comprehensive Transit Plan Transit Advisory Panel, 1998-1999; Task Force to Study the Governance, Coordination, and Funding of the University System of Maryland, 1998-1999; Maryland Advisory Commission for Manufacturing Competitiveness, 1995-1998; Special Committee on Rail Mergers, 1997; Special Joint Committee on Competitive Taxation and Economic Development, 1996-1997; Special Committee on School Enrollment Management, 1996-1997; Special Joint Tax Force on Transportation, 1995-1997; Tri-County Council for Western Maryland, 1983-; Town Council, Town of Grantsville, 1980-1982, 1972-1974; Legislative Committee, Maryland Association of Counties, 1975-1978; Board of County Commissioners, Garrett County, 1974-1978; Garret County Development Corporation, 1974.
- Maryland Veterans Caucus, 2005-2007; Maryland Rural Caucus, 2002-2007; Maryland Legislative Sportsman’s Caucus, 2001-2007; National Rifle Association; American Legion; Lonaconing Republican Club; Lions Club, (President, 1982-1983); Associate Member, Lodge 40, Fraternal Order of Police.
- Legislator Recognition Award, Maryland Association of Counties , 1997.
- Biographical Information
- Born, Grantsville, Maryland, April 9, 1948; Northern High School, Accident, Maryland; Fairmont State College, B.S., Business Administration, cum laude, 1970; Frostburg State College, Teacher Certification , 1974; Retail Businessman; Former Teacher; Drafted by Baltimore Colts, 1970 (NAIA Football All-American Fullback); Maryland National Guard, 1970-1976; Member, St. Paul’s United Methodist Church; Married, Two children.
Last Updated: 10/15/2019 3:25 PM