Article - Alcoholic Beverages
(a) There is a Field Enforcement Division in the Office of the Executive Director.
(b) (1) The Field Enforcement Division may employ officers and employees as provided in the State budget.
(2) The officers and employees of the Field Enforcement Division:
(i) shall be sworn police officers;
(ii) shall have the powers, duties, and responsibilities of peace officers to enforce the provisions of this article relating to:
1. the unlawful importation of alcoholic beverages and tobacco into the State;
2. the unlawful manufacture of alcoholic beverages and tobacco in the State;
3. the transportation and distribution throughout the State of alcoholic beverages and tobacco that are manufactured illegally and on which any alcoholic beverages taxes or tobacco taxes imposed by the State are due and unpaid; and
4. the manufacture, sale, barter, transportation, distribution, or other form of owning, handling, or dispersing alcoholic beverages or tobacco by any person not licensed or authorized under this article, provisions of the Tax – General Article relating to alcoholic beverages or tobacco, or provisions of the Business Regulation Article relating to tobacco; and
(iii) may make cooperative arrangements for and work and cooperate with the Office of the Comptroller, local State’s Attorneys, sheriffs, bailiffs, police, and other prosecuting and peace officers to enforce this article.
(c) The Field Enforcement Division:
(1) shall consult with and advise the local State’s Attorneys and other law enforcement officials and police officers regarding enforcement problems in their respective jurisdictions; and
(2) may recommend changes to improve the administration of this article, provisions of the Tax – General Article relating to alcoholic beverages and tobacco, and provisions of the Business Regulation Article relating to tobacco.