Article - Education
(a) There is a School Safety Subcabinet.
(b) The Subcabinet is the governing board of the Center.
(c) The Subcabinet consists of the following members:
(1) The State Superintendent, or the State Superintendent’s designee;
(2) The Secretary of State Police, or the Secretary’s designee;
(3) The Attorney General, or the Attorney General’s designee;
(4) The Secretary of Disabilities, or the Secretary’s designee;
(5) The Secretary of Health, or the Secretary’s designee; and
(6) The Executive Director of the Interagency Commission on School Construction, or the Executive Director’s designee.
(d) The State Superintendent, or the State Superintendent’s designee, shall chair the Subcabinet.
(e) The executive director of the Center shall provide staff for the Subcabinet.
(f) The Subcabinet shall meet regularly at such times and places as it determines.
(g) The Subcabinet shall:
(1) Collaborate with local school systems in the State, law enforcement agencies, State and local government agencies, community organizations, parents, and other stakeholders to provide a comprehensive, coordinated approach to school safety;
(2) In partnership with the Advisory Board and other stakeholders:
(i) Disseminate information on best practices, programs, and resources;
(ii) Provide technical assistance and training to local jurisdictions and local school systems;
(iii) Collaborate on collection, analysis, and integration of statewide data; and
(iv) Promote interagency efforts that support safe schools for all students, school staff, parents, and community members;
(3) Establish a Safe School Information and Best Practices Clearinghouse of up–to–date, research–based, and data–driven information on effective strategies for creating and maintaining safe schools;
(4) Identify safe school professional staff development best practices;
(5) Initiate collaborative partnerships and facilitate coordination among local school systems, law enforcement agencies, State and local government, and community organizations to leverage existing resources to deliver school safety services uniformly to local school systems;
(6) Foster coordination among all entities responsible for ensuring the safety and security of school facilities in the State;
(7) Distribute grants from the Fund in accordance with § 7–1512 of this subtitle;
(8) Collaborate with the Department on the model policy for an assessment team under § 7–1507 of this subtitle;
(9) Adopt regulations to define a school security employee for the purpose of the training and report required for school security employees under § 7–1508 of this subtitle;
(10) Provide general oversight and direction to the Center;
(11) Approve the annual budget for the Center;
(12) Adopt any regulations necessary to carry out the Subcabinet’s duties under this subtitle; and
(13) Perform other duties assigned by the Governor.
(h) (1) The Subcabinet shall report to the Governor and, in accordance with § 2–1257 of the State Government Article, the General Assembly on or before December 15 each year.
(2) The report shall include:
(i) A list of all the activities of the Center, including aggregate data on the information collected from each local school system under § 7–1510 of this subtitle;
(ii) An update on the current status and effectiveness of the Center;
(iii) Data collected on school resource officers under § 7–1508 of this subtitle; and
(iv) Recommendations made by the Subcabinet for improving school and student safety.