Article - Education
(a) With the assistance of the county health department, each county board shall provide:
(1) Adequate school health services;
(2) Instruction in health education, including the importance of physical activity in maintaining good health; and
(3) A healthful school environment.
(b) The Department and the Maryland Department of Health jointly shall:
(1) Develop public standards and guidelines for school health programs; and
(2) Offer assistance to the county boards and county health departments in their implementation.
(c) (1) (i) Each county board shall designate a school health services program coordinator.
(ii) A county board may authorize the county health department to designate the school health services program coordinator.
(2) The school health services program coordinator shall:
(i) Implement State and local health policies in the public schools;
(ii) Ensure that public schools adhere to local health services guidelines; and
(iii) Communicate State and local health policies to the parents and guardians of public school students.
(3) (i) Except as provided in subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph, the county board shall grant the school health services program coordinator the authority to carry out the provisions of this subsection.
(ii) The county board shall consult with a county superintendent before any change in the hiring or termination of personnel in connection with a school health services program.
(4) The Department shall conduct at least two meetings annually with all school health services program coordinators in the State.
(d) On or before December 1, 2015, and every 5 years thereafter, the Department shall report to the Governor and, subject to § 2–1257 of the State Government Article, to the General Assembly a summary of the information reported to the State Superintendent during the COMAR certification process.