Article - Environment
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Expanded polystyrene” means blown polystyrene and expanded and extruded foams that are thermoplastic petrochemical materials utilizing a styrene monomer and processed by a number of techniques, including fusion of polymer spheres (expandable bead polystyrene), injection molding, foam molding, and extrusion–blow molding (extruded foam polystyrene).
(c) (1) “Expanded polystyrene food service product” means a product made of expanded polystyrene that is:
(i) Used for selling or providing food or beverages; and
(ii) 1. Intended by the manufacturer to be used once for eating or drinking; or
2. Generally recognized by the public as an item to be discarded after one use.
(2) “Expanded polystyrene food service product” includes:
(i) Food containers;
(iii) Hot and cold beverage cups;
(iv) Trays; and
(v) Cartons for eggs or other food.
(3) “Expanded polystyrene food service product” does not include:
(i) Food or beverages that have been packaged in expanded polystyrene containers before receipt by a food service business;
(ii) A product made of expanded polystyrene that is used to package raw, uncooked, or butchered meat, fish, poultry, or seafood;
(iii) Nonfoam polystyrene food service products; or
(iv) 1. Cartons for eggs that are made of expanded polystyrene that are shipped into the State for packaging; or
2. Cartons of eggs that have been packaged within the State for sale within the State.
(d) (1) “Food service business” means a business in the State that sells or provides food or beverages for consumption on or off the premises.
(2) “Food service business” includes a business or institutional cafeteria, including a cafeteria operated by or on behalf of the State or a local government.
(e) “School” includes:
(1) A public elementary or secondary school;
(2) A nonpublic elementary or secondary school; and
(3) An institution of higher education, as defined in § 10–101(h) of the Education Article.
(f) “Unit of county government” includes:
(1) A local health department; or
(2) A local environmental department.