Article - Family Law
(a) (1) A county may discount a marriage license fee under § 2-404(a) of this subtitle if the couple to be married has completed, within 1 year before the date of the application for the license, a premarital preparation course that meets the requirements specified in this section.
(2) The amount of any discount shall be determined by the county governing body.
(b) A premarital preparation course shall:
(1) include instruction regarding:
(i) conflict management;
(ii) communication skills;
(iii) financial responsibilities; and
(iv) children and parenting responsibilities; and
(2) consist of at least 4 hours of instruction.
(c) A premarital preparation course may be conducted by:
(1) a clinical professional counselor or a clinical marriage and family therapist licensed under Title 17, Subtitle 3A of the Health Occupations Article;
(2) a psychologist licensed under Title 18 of the Health Occupations Article;
(3) a social worker licensed under Title 19 of the Health Occupations Article;
(4) an official representative of a religious institution if the representative has relevant training; or
(5) any other qualified provider approved by a county governing body.
(d) (1) A premarital preparation course provider shall register with the clerk by filing a written affidavit containing:
(i) the provider’s name, address, and telephone number;
(ii) a summary of the provider’s qualifications and training; and
(iii) a statement that the provider shall comply with the course requirements specified in this section.
(2) The clerk may establish a roster of area premarital preparation course providers, including those who offer the course on a sliding fee scale or for free.
(e) (1) A premarital preparation course provider shall provide to each couple who completes the course a certificate of completion that specifies:
(i) the names of the couple;
(ii) the name of the provider; and
(iii) the date of completion of the course.
(2) To receive a discounted marriage license fee under this section, an applicant for a license shall verify completion of a premarital preparation course by filing with the clerk a valid certificate of course completion issued in accordance with paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(f) Any cost for a premarital preparation course shall be paid by the applicant for a marriage license.
(g) The discount authorized by this section may not be applied to any fee used to fund domestic violence programs.