Bill number does not exist. Enter a vaild keyword.

Statutes Text

Article - Family Law


    (a)    In granting a decree of absolute divorce or on motion of a party filed within 18 months after a final decree of absolute divorce is entered, the court shall change the name of the requesting party to either the name given the party at birth or any other former name the party wishes to use if:

        (1)    the party took a new name on marriage and no longer wishes to use it;

        (2)    the party asks for the change of name; and

        (3)    the purpose of the party is not illegal, fraudulent, or immoral.

    (b)    The provisions of Maryland Rule 15–901 relating to an action for a change of name do not apply to a change of name under this section.

Click to return on the top page