Article - Health - General
(a) There is a Health Equity Resource Community Reserve Fund.
(b) The purpose of the Fund is to:
(1) Support areas designated by the Commission as Health Equity Resource Communities by providing grants to community–based organizations, nonprofit hospitals, institutions of higher education, federally qualified health centers, local government agencies, health care practitioners, and community health workers to facilitate reduction of health disparities, improve health outcomes, provide drug treatment and rehabilitation, and reduce health costs and hospital admissions and readmissions in specific areas of the State; and
(2) Provide funding to supplement and not supplant existing funding for behavioral health programs that provide prevention, recovery support, and harm reduction services for individuals with substance use and mental health disorders.
(c) The Commission shall administer the Fund.
(d) (1) The Fund is a special, nonlapsing fund that is not subject to § 7–302 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(2) Any unspent portion of the Fund may not be transferred or revert to the General Fund but shall remain in the Fund to be used for the purposes specified in this subtitle.
(3) The State Treasurer shall hold the Fund separately, and the Comptroller shall account for the Fund.
(e) The Fund consists of:
(1) Money appropriated in the State budget to the Fund in accordance with § 31–107 of the Insurance Article;
(2) Interest earnings of the Fund; and
(3) Any other money from any other source accepted for the benefit of the Fund.
(f) The Fund may be used only to provide funding to the Commission for the support of areas designated as Health Equity Resource Communities by providing grants to community–based organizations, nonprofit hospitals, institutions of higher education, local government agencies, health care practitioners, federally qualified health centers, and community health workers to reduce health disparities, improve health outcomes, provide addiction and mental health services, and reduce health costs and hospital admissions and readmissions.
(g) (1) The State Treasurer shall invest the money of the Fund in the same manner as other State money may be invested.
(2) Any interest earnings of the Fund shall be credited to the Fund.
(h) Expenditures from the Fund may be made only in accordance with the State budget.
(i) Money expended from the Fund to support areas designated by the Commission as Health Equity Resource Communities under this subtitle is supplemental to and not intended to supplant funding that otherwise would be appropriated for those purposes.