Article - Labor and Employment
(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Labor and Industry.
(c) (1) “Employee” includes each person in the service of a railroad who performs for the railroad any work defined as work of an employee in accordance with orders and decisions of the federal Department of Transportation and over whom the railroad maintains continuing authority to supervise and direct the manner of the work.
(2) “Employee” does not include any person who performs work for a rapid rail transit system or light rail system operating in the State.
(d) (1) “Railroad” includes each common carrier by rail and all branches, bridges, cars, extensions, ferries, plants, spurs, stations, subways, switches, terminal facilities, tracks, tunnels, and all equipment used on or in connection with them.
(2) “Railroad” does not include a rapid rail transit system or light rail system operating in the State.
(e) “Railroad company” means:
(1) the operator of a railroad operating in the State; and
(2) the State or any political subdivision of the State, while operating a railroad.
(f) (1) “Working day” means any day that occurs Monday through Friday unless the day is designated as a holiday for employees of the State.
(2) “Working day” does not include a Saturday or Sunday.