Article - Labor and Employment
(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Accidental personal injury” means:
(1) an accidental injury that arises out of and in the course of employment;
(2) an injury caused by a willful or negligent act of a third person directed against a covered employee in the course of the employment of the covered employee; or
(3) a disease or infection that naturally results from an accidental injury that arises out of and in the course of employment, including:
(i) an occupational disease; and
(ii) frostbite or sunstroke caused by a weather condition.
(c) “Child” includes:
(1) an adopted child;
(2) an illegitimate child;
(3) a posthumous child; and
(4) a stepchild.
(d) “Commission” means the State Workers’ Compensation Commission.
(e) (1) “Compensation” means the money payable under this title to a covered employee or the dependents of a covered employee.
(2) “Compensation” includes funeral benefits payable under this title.
(f) “Covered employee” means an individual listed in Subtitle 2 of this title for whom a person, a governmental unit, or a quasi-public corporation is required by law to provide coverage under this title.
(g) “Occupational disease” means a disease contracted by a covered employee:
(1) as the result of and in the course of employment; and
(2) that causes the covered employee to become temporarily or permanently, partially or totally incapacitated.