Article - State Government
(a) This section does not apply to a claim that is:
(1) asserted by cross–claim, counterclaim, or third–party claim; or
(2) brought under § 5–117 of the Courts Article.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a claimant may not institute an action under this subtitle unless:
(1) the claimant submits a written claim to the Treasurer or a designee of the Treasurer within 1 year after the injury to person or property that is the basis of the claim;
(2) the Treasurer or designee denies the claim finally; and
(3) the action is filed within 3 years after the cause of action arises.
(c) (1) If a claimant fails to submit a written claim in accordance with subsection (b)(1) of this section, on motion by a claimant and for good cause shown, the court may entertain an action under this subtitle unless the State can affirmatively show that its defense has been prejudiced by the claimant’s failure to submit the claim.
(2) Subsection (b)(1) and (2) of this section does not apply if, within 1 year after the injury to person or property that is the basis of the claim, the State has actual or constructive notice of:
(i) the claimant’s injury; or
(ii) the defect or circumstances giving rise to the claimant’s injury.