Article - State Government
(a) In Subtitles 1 through 11 of this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Commission” means the Commission on Civil Rights.
(c) “Complainant” means a person that files a complaint alleging a discriminatory act under this title.
(d) “Discriminatory act” means an act prohibited under:
(1) Subtitle 3 of this title (Discrimination in Places of Public Accommodation);
(2) Subtitle 4 of this title (Discrimination by Persons Licensed or Regulated by Maryland Department of Labor);
(3) Subtitle 5 of this title (Discrimination in Leasing of Commercial Property);
(4) Subtitle 6 of this title (Discrimination in Employment);
(5) Subtitle 7 of this title (Discrimination in Housing); or
(6) Subtitle 8 of this title (Aiding, Abetting, or Attempting Discriminatory Act; Obstructing Compliance).
(e) “Gender identity” means the gender–related identity, appearance, expression, or behavior of a person, regardless of the person’s assigned sex at birth, which may be demonstrated by:
(1) consistent and uniform assertion of the person’s gender identity; or
(2) any other evidence that the gender identity is sincerely held as part of the person’s core identity.
(f) “Protective hairstyle” includes braids, twists, and locks.
(g) “Race” includes traits associated with race, including hair texture, afro hairstyles, and protective hairstyles.
(h) (1) “Respondent” means a person accused in a complaint of a discriminatory act.
(2) “Respondent” includes a person identified during an investigation of a complaint and joined as an additional or substitute respondent.
(i) “Sexual orientation” means the identification of an individual as to male or female homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality.