Article - Transportation
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “9–1–1 system” has the meaning stated in § 1–301 of the Public Safety Article.
(3) “Text messaging device” means a handheld device used to send a text message or an electronic message via a short message service, wireless telephone service, or electronic communication network.
(b) Subject to subsection (c) of this section, an individual may not use a text messaging device to write, send, or read a text message or an electronic message while operating a motor vehicle in the travel portion of the roadway.
(c) This section does not apply to the use of:
(1) A global positioning system; or
(2) A text messaging device to contact a 9–1–1 system.
(d) (1) If the Administration receives satisfactory evidence that an individual who is under the age of 18 years has violated this section, the Administration:
(i) May suspend the individual’s driver’s license for not more than 90 days; and
(ii) May issue a restricted license for the period of suspension that is limited to driving a motor vehicle:
1. In the course of the individual’s employment;
2. For the purpose of driving to or from a place of employment; or
3. For the purpose of driving to or from school.
(2) An individual may request a hearing as provided for a suspension or revocation under Title 12, Subtitle 2 of this article.