Article - Transportation
(a) (1) A person may not drive and the owner may not cause or knowingly permit to be driven on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles that:
(i) Is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person;
(ii) Does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this title; or
(iii) Is equipped in any manner in violation of this title.
(2) A person may not do any act forbidden or fail to do any act required under this title.
(b) (1) Nothing contained in this title shall be construed to prohibit the use of additional parts and accessories on any vehicle not inconsistent with the provisions of this title.
(2) A person may not operate work equipment that is added to a vehicle for a designated purpose other than driving the vehicle on a highway while the vehicle is being driven on a highway unless the vehicle is being used to conduct authorized work on the highway.
(3) A person may not operate on a vehicle equipment that is intended for off–road use while the vehicle is being driven on a highway.
(c) A person may not display for sale, sell, offer for sale, or deliver for use in, on, or as a part of any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer, any headlamp, auxiliary or fog lamp, rear lamp, warning lamp, reflector, glazing material, hydraulic brake fluid, brake lining, antifreeze, seat belt, shoulder harness, or seat belt and shoulder harness assembly, or any other item of equipment or device, including eye-protective devices and protective helmets, required to be approved by the Administrator, unless the device is of a type that has been submitted to the Administrator or his authorized agent and has been approved by him.
(d) A person may not display for sale, sell, offer for sale, or deliver for use in, on, or as a part of any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer, any device required to be approved by the Administrator, unless the device bears on it or, where applicable, on the container in which it is sold, the trademark or name under which it has been approved.
(e) (1) The provisions of this title with respect to equipment on vehicles do not apply to farm equipment, road machinery, road rollers, farm tractors, mopeds, or motor scooters, except as made applicable in this title.
(2) (i) Subject to subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph, this title does not apply to low speed vehicles.
(ii) 1. A low speed vehicle shall comply with federal standards under 49 C.F.R. 571.500.
2. The Administration may adopt regulations that require equipment for low speed vehicles in addition to equipment required under federal law.