Article - Transportation
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Advisory Group” means the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Reconstruction Advisory Group.
(3) “Chesapeake Bay Bridge” means the William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial Chesapeake Bay Bridge and parallel Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
(b) There is a Chesapeake Bay Bridge Reconstruction Advisory Group in the Department.
(c) The Advisory Group consists of the following members:
(1) The Secretary of Transportation, or the Secretary’s designee;
(2) The State Highway Administrator, or the Administrator’s designee;
(3) The Executive Director of the Authority, or the Executive Director’s designee;
(4) Two citizen members appointed by the Anne Arundel County Council;
(5) Two citizen members appointed by the County Commissioners of Queen Anne’s County; and
(6) The following members appointed by the Governor:
(i) Three citizen members who live in Anne Arundel County and are familiar with issues faced by commuters who cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge; and
(ii) Three citizen members who live in Queen Anne’s County and are familiar with issues faced by commuters who cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
(d) (1) The term of an appointed member is 3 years.
(2) The terms of the appointed members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Advisory Group on July 1, 2020.
(3) At the end of a term, an appointed member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) An appointed member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(e) From among its members, the Advisory Group shall elect a chair each year.
(f) The Authority shall provide staff for the Advisory Group.
(g) A member of the Advisory Group:
(1) May not receive compensation as a member of the Advisory Group; but
(2) Is entitled to reimbursement for expenses under the Standard State Travel Regulations, as provided in the State budget.
(h) The Advisory Group shall:
(1) Adopt bylaws;
(2) Provide the Authority with an independent, citizen–informed perspective on the Authority’s operations at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge; and
(3) (i) Assist the Authority in:
1. Assessing potential concerns about activity relating to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge; and
2. Educating the general public about activity relating to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge; and
(ii) Work collaboratively with the Authority and provide pertinent input related to traffic and customer service issues.
(i) The Advisory Group is a public body and is subject to Title 3 of the General Provisions Article.
(j) Any entity that conducts a traffic capacity study pertaining to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and U.S. Route 50 between Interstate 97 and Maryland Route 404 shall report its findings and recommendations to the Advisory Group.
(k) (1) The Advisory Group shall report its activities and recommendations quarterly to the Authority.
(2) On or before July 1, 2021, and each July 1 thereafter, the Advisory Group shall report its activities and recommendations to the Governor and, in accordance with § 2–1257 of the State Government Article, the General Assembly.