Article - Transportation
(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Administration” means the Maryland Transit Administration.
(c) “Administrator” means the Maryland Transit Administrator.
(d) “District” means:
(1) The Metropolitan Transit District, consisting of Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, and other areas as designated by the Secretary after consultation and coordination with the affected jurisdiction and subject to the provisions of the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority Compact; and
(2) Any area in which railroad service is performed under contract with the Administration or in which railroad facilities are owned by the Administration.
(e) “Excursion train” means any special event train sponsored or contracted for in connection with the promotion of a public event benefiting the State and its citizens.
(f) “Light rail transit” means rail transit which is electrically powered and can operate in mixed traffic with automobiles.
(g) “Private carrier” means any person that renders transit service within the District under an operating permit or license issued by an agency of this State exercising regulatory jurisdiction over transportation of passengers within this State and over persons engaged in that business.
(h) “Proof of fare payment” means evidence of fare prepayment authorized by the Administration for the use of transit service.
(i) “Railroad company” means any entity engaged in the providing of railroad service under this title.
(j) (1) “Railroad facility” means any facility used in providing railroad services, and includes any one or more or combination of:
(i) Switches, spurs, tracks, structures, terminals, yards, real property, and other facilities useful or designed for use in connection with the transportation of persons or goods by rail; and
(ii) All other appurtenances, including locomotives, cars, vehicles, and other instrumentalities of shipment or carriage, useful or designed for use in connection with the transportation of persons or goods by rail.
(2) “Railroad facility” does not include any transit facility.
(k) “Railroad service” means any service utilizing rail or railroad facilities performed by any common carrier operating under the jurisdiction of the State or federal government as a common carrier and includes any such service performed by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation.
(l) “Transit facility” includes any one or more or combination of tracks, rights–of–way, bridges, tunnels, subways, rolling stock, stations, terminals, ports, parking areas, equipment, fixtures, buildings, structures, other real or personal property, and services incidental to or useful or designed for use in connection with the rendering of transit service by any means, including rail, bus, motor vehicle, or other mode of transportation, but does not include any railroad facility.
(m) “Transit–oriented development” means a mix of private or public parking facilities, commercial and residential structures, and uses, improvements, and facilities customarily appurtenant to such facilities and uses, that:
(1) Is part of a deliberate development plan or strategy involving:
(i) Property that is adjacent to the passenger boarding and alighting location of a planned or existing transit station; or
(ii) Property, any part of which is located within one–half mile of the passenger boarding and alighting location of a planned or existing transit station;
(2) Is planned to maximize the use of transit, walking, and bicycling by residents and employees; and
(3) Is designated as a transit–oriented development by:
(i) The Secretary, after considering a recommendation of the Smart Growth Subcabinet established under § 9–1406 of the State Government Article; and
(ii) The local government or multicounty agency with land use and planning responsibility for the relevant area.
(n) (1) “Transit service” means the transportation of persons and their packages and baggage and of newspapers, express, and mail in regular route, special, or charter service by means of transit facilities between points within the District.
(2) “Transit service” does not include any:
(i) Vanpool operation; or
(ii) Railroad service.
(o) (1) “Transit station” means any facility, the primary function of which relates to the boarding and alighting of passengers from transit vehicles.
(2) “Transit station” includes platforms, shelters, passenger waiting facilities, parking areas, access roadways, and other real property used to facilitate passenger access to transit service or railroad service.
(p) “Transit vehicle” means a mobile device used in rendering transit service.