Article - Transportation
(a) The following units of the State shall allow the use of any right–of–way or easement for the installation of broadband communication infrastructure provided by nonprofit telecommunications services providers in rural and underserved areas of the State without imposition of any charge for the use of the right–of–way or the easement:
(1) The Department of Transportation, including the State Highway Administration, the Maryland Transportation Authority, and the Maryland Transit Administration;
(2) The Board of Public Works;
(3) The Department of Information Technology;
(4) The Department of Natural Resources; and
(5) The Department of the Environment.
(b) This section may not be construed to limit or otherwise affect any right granted to the State or a unit of the State under § 253 of the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 with regard to for profit telecommunications services providers.