Delegate Emmett C. Burns, Jr.
- Committee Assignment(s)
- Annapolis Info
309 House Office Building
6 Bladen Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Toll-free in MD
- 309 House Office Building
- Interim Info
3600 Oak Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21207
- 3600 Oak Avenue
Denotes enacted legislation
- First elected to the Maryland House of Delegates, 1994. Member of the House since 1995.
- Current Assignments
- 2003- Economic Matters Committee
- 2011- Chair, Unemployment Insurance Subcommittee of the Economic Matters Committee
- 2007- Business Regulation Subcommittee of the Economic Matters Committee
- 2011- House Co-Chair, Joint Committee on Unemployment Insurance Oversight
- 1995- Special Committee on Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- 1999- Joint Committee on Federal Relations
- 1995- Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland
- Past House Service
- Property and Casualty Insurance Subcommittee of the Economic Matters Committee , 2003-2010; Deputy Majority Whip , 2003-2007; Corporations Workgroup of the Economic Matters Committee , 2003-2006; Judiciary Committee , 1995-2003; Civil Law and Procedure Subcommittee of the Judiciary Committee , 1995-2003.
- Public Service
- Task Force on the Membership and Operation of the Baltimore County Board of Education, 2011; Chaplain, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, 2008-2010, 1995-2002; Communications, Financial Services and Interstate Commerce Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures, 2007-; Commission to Coordinate the Study, Commemoration, and Impact of Slavery's History and Legacy in Maryland, 2000-; Redistricting Committee, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, 2000-; Vice Chair, Civil Rights Committee, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, 2000-; Chair, Ethics Committee, Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, 2000; Task Force to Study the Effects of Cult Activities on Public Senior Higher Education Institutions, 1999; Task Force to Study the History and Legacy of Slavery in Maryland, 1999; Governor's Task Force on African-American Entrepreneurship in Baltimore City, 1996-1999; Governor's Commission on Adoption, 1995; Baltimore Safe Schools Committee, 1991-; Vice Chair, Committee on International Affairs, National Black Caucus of State Legislators; Financial Services Standing Committee, National Black Caucus of State Legislators.
- Chair, Social Action Committee, United Baptist Convention of Maryland ; National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc. ; Omega Psi Phi Fraternity .
- Biographical Information
- Born, Jackson, Mississippi, August 26, 1940 ; Jackson State University, B.S., 1962 ; Virginia Union University, M.Div., 1968 ; Presbyterian School of Christian Education, M.R.E., 1969 ; University of Pittsburgh, Ph.D., 1974 ; Veteran, U.S. Air Force, served 1975-78 (Captain) ; Adjunct Professor, Ecumenical Institute of Theology, St. Mary’s Seminary ; Adjunct Professor, University of Baltimore ; Pastor, Rising Sun First Baptist Church ; Married, Three sons .
Last Updated: 10/15/2019 3:24 PM